I know that I need to shape up very significantly in the Following department and am trying to sort out ways to achieve that. These are my draft commandments on the matter:
1. Take the practice of Following seriously as their are real people with feelings involved.
2. Visit the blog of each person who is kind enough to Follow one’s own and, at least, say ‘thank you.’
3. Be sure to be an active Follower in the sense of reading posts, and ideally leaving comments.
4. Recognise that one is more likely to read blogs one follows if one follows by subscribing to receive emails about new posts. So, make a Follow a meaningful one by using the email route.
5. Recognise that people who read and comment on one’s own blog more than likely also have blogs and that the conversations should be evenly balanced between both houses.
6. Resist the temptation to Follow every blog that tickles one’s fancy because it will become impossible to be a ‘good follower’ if the numbers of posts are in the zillions.
7. Set regular time aside to read and comment on blogs that one follows.
8. Try and avoid depending on The Reader as many, many posts can be missed.
9. Review one’s Following practice on a regular basis and, if necessary, Unfollow blogs that just didn’t turn out to be what they first appeared.
10. See Following and being Followed as fundamental to what makes blogging more than just a private journal.
Please feel free to add or subtract or amend these commandments. I’d love to hear your thoughts and I promise that , in future, I will try and do better!