While I’m certainly not a huge St. Patrick’s Day person in terms of getting all decked out in green and wearing shamrock, I find myself being more and more aware of my Irish identity as March 17th looms.
Here are the things that I love most about this native country of mine:
1. The fact that Ireland is an island with miles and miles of glorious and diverse coastline.
2. The accent, or should I say, the range of Irish accents and the way I only hear my own Irish accent when I’m not in Ireland!
3. The long and ongoing tradition of the arts, and especially poetry, through names like W.B. Yeats, Patrick Kavanagh, Seamus Heaney, Brendan Kennelly, Paul Durcan …..
4. The Irish passion for sport … hurling, horse-racing, rugby, soccer, athletics, boxing…
5. Travelling along back roads through the countryside soaking up the colour and the nods of familiar strangers.
6. The buildings ~ from iconic places like Trinity College, Dublin to tiny thatched cottages with red doors out in the middle of nowhere.
7. The incredible diversity of Ireland’s people ~ layered with an intriguing complexity, warmth and quick wit.