The fact that Ireland is moving into Winter time in a few hours doesn’t exactly fill me with glee but I’ve been preparing for this transition for a few weeks now and this evening I went for a swim at sunset to give thanks for what has been one of the most wonderful Irish Summer times of my adult life.
For me, the whole key to coping with Winter time is ensuring that life is filled with colour, so here are my 5 main coping strategies:
1. Plant lots of Spring bulbs whose fresh green shoots will give an early signal that long, bright days are just around the corner.
2. Gather lots of sticks in the woods to light warm, golden fires to cosy up dark Winter evenings.
3. Swim in the sea at sunrise or sunset right through the Winter and bask in the burnished gold of the sun-kissed ocean.
4. Be as creative as possible, with paints, beads, photographs, poetry, prose, food, drinks …..
5. Embrace Winter with a gleaming smile and look her straight in the eye because she needs and wants to be loved just as much as we do.
I’d love to hear how you feel when you hear ‘Change your timepieces back one hour at 2am tomorrow morning,’ and how you embrace Winter?